Sunday, March 6, 2016

Portuguese Style Knitting

Being relatively new to the wonderful world of knitting, I wasn't even aware that there are different knitting styles. I have only recently learned that I am using the English style of knitting technique, which means that I hold the yarn in my right hand and throw the yarn when wrapping on new stitches.

Then there's the Continental style of knitting, which I've only heard about, but I have never used this style of knitting. With Continental style knitting, one holds the yarn in their left hand and then they pick the yarn when wrapping on new stitches. I've heard that the Continental style of knitting is easier for crocheters to learn.


Then a few days ago, I learned about the Portuguese style of knitting through Craftsy in an article they posted on their blog titled Knitting With Pretty Pins: Portuguese Knitting Technique by Ashley Little. Needless to say, I was intrigued by the article's title, so went ahead and read it to learn more.


After reading Ashley Little's article I learned that:
Portuguese knitting — or maybe you’ve heard it called Andean, Peruvian or Bosnian — is a knitting style that involves more than just attaching a pretty pin to your shirt. It’s a style that also involves movements that are totally different from the usual Continental and English styles we’re so accustomed to seeing.
What makes Portuguese knitting so unique is the tension of the yarn. You’ll be able to spot a Portuguese knitting technique a mile away if you check out where that yarn is coming from. In addition to a pin, the yarn could also be wrapped behind the knitter’s neck.
What really appeals to me about the Portuguese style of knitting is that it is supposedly a great style of knitting for those with arthritis and carpal tunnel as "Portuguese knitting involves very small movements, including a flicking motion with your thumb." Since I struggle with right arm, hand, and finger pain at times, the Portuguese style of knitting sounds very appealing to me. Anything I can do to help lessen the pain and ease the stress knitting may cause, is a good thing.

I also learned that the Portuguese style of knitting also helps give even tension while knitting on one's project, which I like as well because I want even tension throughout the entire project while knitting it.

There are a few drawbacks to the Portuguese style of knitting, which are showcased in the above article. Click on the top link above to read the article in full.

In the meantime, I've learned that Craftsy offers an online video course for those wanting to learn the Portuguese style of knitting. I am planning to take this online course as I am interested in learning a new knitting style that may help relieve the pain/stress on my arm, hand, and fingers while knitting.

Below is a video of Andrea Wong demonstrating the Portuguese style of knitting for those not familiar with this knitting technique:



Until my next post, happy knitting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment