Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Blocking Party In Progress!

I've been knitting now for two years, but I've never blocked any of the items I've knitted before until now. I did not know about blocking handmade knitted items or realize the importance of blocking until about a year and a half ago while enrolled in a knitting class. 

But, alas, I waited a long time before I decided blocking an item as I wasn't entirely sure how to do it. 

See the below video about blocking your hand knitted items.



Yesterday evening, I finally decided to take the plunge and block three of my most recently knitted items. I started by soaking the items I had knitted in a tub of tepid water with unscented Eucalan No Rinse Delicate WashEucalan No Rinse Delicate Wash is concentrated and the directions recommend using one teaspoon of Eucalan No Rinse Delicate Wash per gallon of water. 

According to the product description I read about Eucalan No Rinse Delicate Wash on Amazon, I learned the following about it: 
"Eucalan No Rinse Delicate Wash provides superb cleaning and conditioning for any natural fiber and is ideal for use by hand or machine. It is nontoxic, biodegradable, and phosphate free. The natural lonolin-enriched formula conditions the fiber and helps keep static away."

My knitted items soaking in unscented Eucalan

As a side note worth mentioning, Eucalan No Rinse Delicate Wash also comes in various scents like lavender, jasmine, grapefruit, and eucalyptus.

After soaking the knitted items for roughly thirty minutes, I gently squeezed (no wringing) out the excess water from each item. The items were still pretty wet, so I rolled the items between towels to draw out additional water.


The items are now pinned on mats and air drying!

After all the water had been squeezed out of each item, I pinned all three of them to blocking mats where they are currently air drying.

I'm still not sure if I squeezed out the excess water properly for each item as the shape of each item seems slightly wonky looking right now. Maybe I shouldn't have rolled the items between towels as this may have stretched them out too much. I'll see how they look after they've dried. In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed that each item will look fine after its dried.

Until my next post, happy knitting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment