Tuesday, September 27, 2016

My First Attempt at Dyeing Yarn

I decided to try dyeing an entire skein of 100% white cotton yarn with Country Time Strawberry Lemonade (powdered mix) after watching a YouTube video on dyeing yarn with Kool-Aid earlier this year.

After I initially pulled the yarn out of the dye bath, it was a beautiful bubble gum pink color. Unfortunately, using the Country Time Strawberry Lemonade powder mix didn't work out so well in terms of dyeing the yarn I used. The color didn't adhere very well to the yarn after I rinsed the yarn with cold water. The yarn now looks very mottled in parts with some of the yarn being various shades of light pink and other areas looking white. 

I tried dyeing the yarn a second time the same way, but adding white vinegar to the mix. I was hoping the white vinegar would act as a mordant to help the pink color adhere to the yarn but the vinegar didn't help improve matters much.

Maybe because I didn't attempt to dye the yarn with Kool-Aid, my yarn dyeing project flopped big time. I also noticed that in the YouTube video I watched, a wool blend skein of yarn was used. I used 100% cotton yarn... Would using 100% cotton yarn really make a HUGE difference when trying to dye yarn? I hope not. But who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment