Monday, October 24, 2016

I Crocheted My First Item Ever!

Crocheted Ruffle Scarf
I've been intrigued with what one can make using sashay yarn. After watching a video on YouTube earlier this month, I learned that one can use sashay yarn to crochet (or knit) a ruffle scarf. I decided the crochet version looked easier to make than the knit version even though I've never crocheted before (famous last words, right?). 

So, I went ahead and purchased a skein of Red Heart Boutique Sashay Sequins Yarn in the Panda colorway (black, white, and gray color scheme) and a size J crochet hook last week. I then went ahead and spent the better part of last Friday crocheting the ruffle scarf throughout the day.

I love the look of the finished ruffle scarf and really look forward to wearing it as a way to dress up an outfit during the next few months for special occasions.

I used the entire skein of Red Heart Boutique Sashay Sequins Yarn to make my ruffle scarf. The pattern itself is really easy to make, but I am not that coordinated in crocheting quite yet... So, it took me quite awhile to complete the ruffle scarf. I think a more experienced crocheter would be able to complete this project in a much shorter time than me for sure. The Red Heart Boutique Sashay Sequins Yarn feels really soft to the touch, which I love. I dislike scratchy or rough feeling yarn against the skin. Plus, the sequins add a nice touch of elegance to the piece. Unfortunately, you can't see the sequins in the above picture. My completed scarf measures 56 inches in length.


The Yarn Still In A Skein & the Crochet Hook I Used For My Scarf!

Even though, I wore my Thergonomic Hand-Aids Support Gloves while making the ruffle scarf, I still ended up feeling quite a bit of soreness in fingers, wrist, and forearm. I made sure to take frequent breaks from crocheting, but it looks like I may have overdone things a bit or perhaps not held the crochet hook ergonomically (???). I do try to be thoughtful about my crafting activities. But in this case my fingers, wrist, and forearm felt mildly sore, stiff, and achy for a few days afterward.

Until my next post, happy crafting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment