Thursday, June 15, 2017

Improvements to My Knitting That I'd Like to Make

Yesterday, I made a post about new knitting skills I've acquired in the past two months. I've made some great strides with my knitting... But my post yesterday had me thinking about areas of my knitting that also need improvement.

I am still not great at weaving in the ends of yarn on my finished projects. 

I am also horrible at correcting certain mistakes I make along the way while knitting. I know as a knitter that I am not infallible and am bound to make mistakes along the way and I can live with that fact. What I do find frustrating is making a mistake (especially a mistake well into a project or near the end of a project) and not know how to fix it... So, there is great angst sometimes on my part on what to do to fix a mistake that is blatantly obvious and I do not know how to solve. The last thing I want to do is waste all my time, effort, and the cost of yarn on a project and not be able to finish it because of a mistake I do not know how to correct. It's times like this that I wish I had a knitting mentor to help guide me along the way or help prevent me from picking up bad knitting habits along the way.

Gauge swatches are another area of difficulty for me. I find it frustrating to make gauge swatches as I've learned that they aren't always an indicator that a project will turn out correctly even if I make a gauge swatch and think I've found the correct needle size to use for a knitting project. So, gauge swatches have become my biggest nemesis. I need to learn how to make one correctly so that garments will fit properly once finished.

What areas of improvement would you like to make with your knitting and/or crocheting skills?

No comments:

Post a Comment